Highlights for Children, a family media brand that has been nurturing children with high-quality, innovative products for more than 70 years, reaches more than two million children every month throughout the world. Our wide variety of “Fun with a Purpose” magazines and books are dedicated to helping children become their best selves—creative, curious, caring, and confident.
We have an immediate opening for an experienced, highly creative Art Director who lives in the world of kids and/or children's publishing.
Purpose of the role:
This position is responsible for the look of three of our monthly publications; Hello Magazine for ages 0-2, High Five Magazine for ages 2-5, and High Five’s bilingual companion, High Five Bilingüe. In addition, this Art Director will be responsible for various product add-ons and spin-offs.
Primary responsibilities include:
- Executing competitive, contemporary and legible magazine design for kids.
- Creating and maintaining relationships with freelance illustrators.
- Overseeing the daily production work for all three magazines.
- An affinity for the Highlights mission and values, and an appreciation for our "Fun with a Purpose" approach to content.
- An ability to articulate key elements of good kids' design and integrate them into each magazine’s individual "look and feel." Formalize these key elements into brand style guides to be shared with Marketing partners.
- Commission original artwork. Discover and cultivate new illustration talent.
- Strong leadership capabilities that facilitate managing, motivating, and collaborating with a diverse group of colleagues.
- Solid public speaking and written communication skills.
- The ability to foster teamwork by consistently being communicative, positive, and collaborative with Editorial and Marketing counterparts.
B.A./B.F.A. degree or higher in graphic design
- 5-8 year demonstrated design and art direction experience in children’s publishing is desired.
- Excellent written and oral communication skills.
- Excellent skills in the Adobe CS Suite with ability to learn our existing software systems (K4 and the DAM).
- Experience with MS Office including Powerpoint is a must.
- Self-motivated/self-directed and able to manage a large workload in a fast-paced environment.
Please include a link to your portfolio.