Highlights for Children, a family media brand that has been nurturing children with high-quality, innovative products for more than 70 years, reaches more than two million children every month throughout the world. Our wide variety of “Fun with a Purpose” magazines, books, and digital products are dedicated to helping children become their best selves – creative, curious, caring and confident.
Over the past few years, the company has enjoyed exciting, explosive growth in the retail marketplace. As a result, the continued development of a dynamic, robust Highlights presence across the retail landscape is now a key strategic initiative – through publishing, product development and licensing initiatives. We are looking for an experienced Senior Designer who can help drive the growth and diversification of this business through a combination of innovative design solutions and savvy art direction. Join the team of passionate, inspired professionals who are bringing Fun With A Purpose to life in new ways through exciting product development initiatives.
We have an immediate opening for a highly experienced, creative Senior Designer.
The Senior Designer will deliver innovative, market-savvy, brand-aligned design for a line of puzzle books, puzzle pads, educational workbooks, book plus merchandise, and multiple novelty formats
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
- Develop and implement design for new products and formats with tight timeframes, under the direction of the Creative Director
- Commission and art direct illustration and puzzles of all types for content bank that spans multiple product lines
- Design and art direct interiors and covers for existing series and product lines as well as new product lines and formats in collaboration with Editorial department and Creative Director
- Collaborate with Sales and Editorial to deliver fresh, visually-appealing product that meets the needs of buyers and customers
- Prototype new formats as needed for use in sales pitches to potential buyers
- Develop knowledge of retail landscape and competition from other publishers in order to deliver design that speaks to marketplace and sales channels
- Create design that aligns with brand guidelines and sensibility
- Create collateral materials such as sales sheets, product pitches, display banners and headers, retail advertising, etc.
- Commission original artwork as needed and find new design and art talent when necessary
Education and Experience:
- 5-8 year demonstrated design and art direction experience in children’s novelty/book plus/retail publishing
- Previous experience working with branded publishing
- Excellent communication skills
- Excellent skills in the Adobe CS Suite with ability to learn our existing software systems (K4 and the DAMS)
- Experience with MS Office including Powerpoint
- BFA or equivalent required
- Strong communication skills, well organized, proficient in InDesign, Photoshop and Illustrator. Must be self-motivated/self-directed and able to manage a large workload in a fast-paced environment, delivering design and other materials on tight schedules.