Highlights for Children, a family media brand that has been nurturing children with high-quality, innovative products for more than 70 years, reaches more than two million children every month throughout the world. Our wide variety of “Fun with a Purpose” magazines and books are dedicated to helping children become their best selves—creative, curious, caring, and confident.
We have an immediate opening for an experienced, highly confidential Executive Assistant who will support the Editor-in-Chief of Highlights for Children.
Working under minimal supervision and using independent thinking, judgment and analysis, performs advanced, diversified and confidential executive administrative support for the Editor-in-Chief and Leadership team. Prepares correspondence and reports and screens telephone calls and visitors. Manage schedules, appointments, meetings and travel itineraries involving a high degree of knowledge, judgment and confidentiality. Supervises shared administrative services staff. Requires comprehensive skill and knowledge of organization policies and practices—interprets as required. Ensures that essential functions and/or projects are performed in an extremely confidential, timely, accurate and efficient manner, thereby relieving the Executive of daily administrative duties. Supports the Leadership Team in other administrative functions, as appropriate. Also functions as liaison for facilities services in 803 Church Street.
- Using independent thinking and judgment, maintains a rigorous and fast paced daily and weekly Executive and schedule. Ensures that Executive and Leadership Team meet appointments and/or scheduled meetings.
- Using judgment, proactively takes action to resolve schedule conflicts.
- Coordinates and communicates changes in the schedule with all affected parties.
- Answers questions and furnishes information to keep Executive’s time free of unnecessary work detail
- Oversees set up and coordination of travel arrangements
- Understands the business.Applies knowledge of corporate policies and procedures.Has knowledge of internal and external contacts.
- Seeks executive’s advice and counsel on matters that require a direct response.Maintains the strictest confidentiality.
- Filters, routes, and answers routine correspondence not requiring executive’s attention to ensure timely and accurate response.
- Interface and work with the Company’s senior team as well as outside representatives on a variety of confidential matters.
- Gain the respect and confidence of others in relaying information and/or answering questions on executive's behalf.
- Using a company credit line makes appropriate departmental purchases.
- Completes Executive expense reports, researches and works independently to resolve discrepancies.Ensures that these and other legitimate departmental expenses are paid in a timely fashion.
- Oversees departmental support of supplies and meetings.
- Purchase and maintain company competitive material.Maintain library of periodicals and resource materials and online subscription services and memberships; monitor library budget.
- Coordinate external memberships and events with professional organizations.
- Maintains department intranet, using judgment to ensure the posted information is appropriate, relevant and up-to-date.
- Prepare and proof communications including memos, presentations, letters, etc.Ensures work on special projects associated with executive team is accurate and completed in timely manner.
- Creates timely management reports utilizing a variety of Microsoft software.
- Working independently, arranges data, sets up spreadsheets and may perform some analysis at the direction of Executive.Examples include:Budgeting, research review, survey responses, etc.
- Filters material if necessary. Organizes and maintains an effective filing system that is easily accessed digitally
- Ensures that sensitive documents are secured
- Prepares files for meetings
- Maintains electronic contacts
- Assigns work, evaluates performance, and coaches receptionist.
- Consistently searches for and executes smarter, faster, cheaper, easier ways to do things.Performs any other essential function that may be directed by the Executive.
- Other duties as assigned.
- Associate Degree in Secretarial Science, or combination of experience and business administration education
- Excellent written and verbal skills
- Bachelor degree preferred
- 8-10 years executive secretarial experience, some supervisory experience preferred
- A high degree of professionalism and confidentiality
- High proficiency with office software, primarily Microsoft office
- Ability to make decisions and to work independently
- Ability to exercise judgment and discretion with regard to importance and sensitivity of information handled
- Highly developed written, oral, organizational, detail orientation and interpersonal skills
- Ability to work well with people and strong customer service orientation
- Ability to multi-task with consistent organization and follow up
- Knowledge of department and company, as well as subsidiaries
- Numerical aptitude