Highlights for Children, a family media brand that has been nurturing children with excellent, wholesome, and innovative products for more than 70 years, reaches over two million children every month throughout the world. Our wide variety of “Fun with a Purpose” magazines and books are dedicated to helping children become their best selves—creative, curious, caring, and confident.
The Business Manager performs and supports the Company’s finance function with emphasis on supporting the Retail, International, and Digital businesses. Responsible for monthly and quarterly management reporting, analysis, forecasting, business case development, ad-hoc financial modeling, and managing the annual operating budget process. This position helps leaders establish short and long-term business goals, create KPI’s, synthesize results, and measures and reports progress to business leaders to ensure goals are being met. This finance business partner position works as a liaison between finance, sales, marketing, IT, book publisher and operations to provide insights and support to the business leaders and various functional teams for these specific businesses. To be successful in this role, he/she must be a collaborative team-player who is results-driven, process-oriented, and thrives in a fast-paced matrix-based work environment. The ability to effectively facilitate and lead cross-functional teams and work with all levels of management to elicit and comprehend quantitative and qualitative information is required.
Financial Support and Insight
- Serve as a bridge between finance, sales, marketing, and operations for communicating and understanding monthly financial results.
- Develop and implement processes using data from a variety of areas to provide ongoing, concise and useful reports and analysis of KPI’s, trends and financial results for various business areas.
- Work with Consumer Accounting Manager to understand detail financial information and communicate results through concise monthly commentary and meetings with key stakeholders
- Evolve monthly financial reporting as businesses continue to grow and mature
- Facilitate monthly meetings with business partners to review actual results compared to budget, prior year, and forecast and provide value-added analysis
- Determine appropriate financial scope and develop budget/forecast business models to continually improve the predictability of the businesses
- Work with business leaders to develop/update budgets and forecasts.
- Provide pro-forma/financial feasibility analysis and support business case development related to new ventures/deals that leaders rely on to make thoughtful business decisions.
- Develop/prepare financial reporting to analyze results and perform post-mortem reviews of new deals/business models
- Perform ad-hoc analysis and financial modeling to support business partners, management, and others as needed to enable fact-based decision making.
- Monitor, understand, and report financial health/results of the businesses
- Participate in various standing meetings with cross-functional support teams
- Assists with the identification and completion of annual goals and other projects to enhance operational efficiencies and complete assigned projects on a timely basis.
- Provide additional financial analyses, research, and support to management, corporate personnel, and others as needed. Maintains supporting documentation to back-up analyses and reports.
- Complete other duties as assigned.
- Sound judgement and values consistent with Company mission, vision, and values.
- Ability to travel 20%
- Bachelor’s Degree in Finance or Accounting, MBA a plus or equivalent combination of education and experience.
- Minimum of six years of diverse and progressively responsible experience in financial analysis and accounting providing insight to business leaders.
- Book publishing and/or retail experience a plus.
- Strategic thinker that can identify and recommend practical, actionable ideas designed to improve the business year over year.
- Analytical skills necessary to understand the impact of business decisions and create and successfully manage budgets, with strong financial oversight and acumen, and a mastery of data assessment as it relates to the business.
- Working knowledge of generally accepted accounting principles
- Collaborative; strong team player; ability to work cohesively and respectfully across different areas and manage the activities of cross-functional teams to meet or exceed departments and company goals.
- Strong driver and self-starter.
- Detail oriented, accurate and organized.
- Process-oriented with a focus on operational excellence and continuous improvement
- Proven ability to meet or exceed deadlines.
- Excellent oral and written communication skills.
- Ability to take, and give direction.
- Ability to prioritize and manage projects in a timely, cohesive manner.
Highlights is a mission driven organization. We help children become their best selves by publishing content and creating experiences that engage, delight, and foster joyful learning. Through the work we do and as an inclusive corporate community, we are dedicated to cultivating our best selves in our workplace. We aim to hire talent that strives for excellence while doing the work they love, by enhancing the lives of kids and families. We come together with a common purpose because, we believe children are the world's most important people.
Position is located at Highlights for Children business headquarters in Columbus, Ohio. Please apply online: www.highlights.com/working-for-highlights/job-listings