Highlights for Children, a family media brand that has been nurturing children with excellent, wholesome, and innovative products for more than 70 years, reaches over two million children every month throughout the world. Our wide variety of “Fun with a Purpose” magazines, books and digital products are dedicated to helping children become their best selves—creative, curious, caring, and confident.
Senior Vice President, Direct-to-Consumer Marketing
The Senior Vice President, Direct-to-Consumer Marketing, will be responsible for the development of strategic planning, management of P&L and ongoing performance, and all aspects of the direct response marketing activities of the Highlights direct to consumer business across these functional groups:
- Direct marketing efforts for omnichannel direct marketing including: direct mail, telemarketing, digital marketing, ecommerce, and all existing and new data-driven consumer marketing efforts.
- Data-driven marketing support efforts for media acquisition and list rental.
- Directs the strategic direction and execution of the Highlights direct to consumer marketing strategy and promotions for magazine, club, and merchandise products.
The SVP will be a member of the senior leadership team and will strategically partner with the President, CEO and other Highlights consumer business leaders to advance the mission and profitability of the company through change and growth. The successful candidate must be experienced in direct-response marketing and have demonstrated excellence across all aspects of data-driven marketing and related operations.
- Responsible for the ongoing P&L.
- Provide strategic leadership to the Highlights direct to consumer business activities with responsibility to improve profitability and grow this business while expanding the Highlights brand in the hearts and minds of consumers.
- Recruit, mentor and develop a top-notch direct marketing team.
- Provide day-to-day and developmental leadership to a diverse group of marketing, and support departments of approximately 40 individuals across the functional categories described above.
- Execute stewardship around the use of the Highlights brand within direct to consumer marketing channels.
- Direct the development of all creative marketing materials (partnering as appropriate with editorial and product development) used in the company’s existing and new data-driven marketing campaigns.
- Through analysis of the company’s customer data, provide insights to internal constituencies about the state of the business, key trends and insights required to increase lifetime value and drive deeper ongoing engagement with families as their children grow and transition across products.
- Deliver both growth in revenue and increases in EBITA by expanding audience reach to drive the company’s success in direct-to-consumer marketing activities.
- Provide thoughtful, mission-aligned leadership to all consumer-facing company communications.
- Create and analyze marketing department plans, budgets and projections in line with operational goals and overall company growth strategy.
- Proven track record getting the best out of internal and external talent focused on excellence in data driven marketing
- Bachelor’s degree required, with a preferred emphasis in business or marketing; MBA or related advanced degree preferred
- 10+ years prior experience in a senior marketing management role
- 5+ years of P&L management experience
- 5+ years of experience with accountability for direct marketing campaigns that deliver year-over-year improvement in quantifiable ROI results
- 5+ years of experience leading and managing a creative team responsible for the development of direct-marketing and/or marketing collateral materials
- Deep understanding of branding issues based on experience in direct response marketing environment where brand was important to the results and maintaining and enhancing the brand was an ongoing focus.
- Experience in publishing, and/or marketing of children’s products
- Demonstrated ability in developing teams, promoting teamwork both within area of direct responsibility and across groups reporting up to peer business leaders.
- Proven financial acumen and ability to successfully manage a multi-million dollar marketing budget
Highlights is a mission driven organization. We help children become their best selves by publishing content and creating experiences that engage, delight, and foster joyful learning. Through the work we do and as an inclusive corporate community, we are dedicated to cultivating our best selves in our workplace. We aim to hire talent that strives for excellence while doing the work they love, by enhancing the lives of kids and families. We come together with a common purpose because, we believe children are the world's most important people.