Highlights for Children, a family media brand that has been nurturing children with excellent, wholesome, and innovative products for more than 70 years, reaches over two million children every month throughout the world. Our wide variety of “Fun with a Purpose” magazines and books are dedicated to helping children become their best selves—creative, curious, caring, and confident.
The Assistant Controller manages the day-to-day accounting processes, reporting, and Financial Shared Services areas, and supports the VP Corporate Finance & Controller with Treasury, Tax, and Risk Management responsibilities. The Assistant Controller will manage the monthly close process, ensure timely and accurate monthly reporting, prepare corporate and consolidated financial reporting, and support compliance with local and corporate reporting requirements and filings. This position will be responsible for maintaining accounting principles, practices and procedures to ensure accurate and timely financial statements.
- Manages the timely, accurate and actionable preparation and distribution of financial reports which effectively communicate the Company's results, performance, and projections to internal and external stakeholders
- Manages the day-to-day site accounting activities, including close cycle and consolidation activities. Ensures that accounting functions are effective, efficient, and adhere to strong internal controls
- Support automated systems and manual procedures of accounting, auditing, and management control to ensure compliance with GAAP and external and management accounting requirements
- Assist with technical accounting research, including analysis on impacts and implications of new and revised standards and implementation of new/revised accounting standards as appropriate.
- Oversee daily banking arrangements for the receipt and disbursement of monies with Company guidelines
- Support federal, state, and local tax accounting and compliance. Recommend tax policies and procedures, and work with public accountants
- Manage the activities and performance of the Corporate Accounting Team: Maintain a sound and efficient organziational structure for the performance of the team's responsibilities, recommend necessary resource requirements and ensure proper segregation of duties, select and maintain qualified personnel, provide training and development as appropriate, establish annual goals and conduct quarterly performance check-ins for all direct reports
- Bachelor's degree in Accounting, MBA and/or CPA strongly preferred or equivalent combination of education and experience
- Minimum of six years of accounting, financial reporting, tax, and cash management or treasury experience in a fast-paced, growing environment required. Mix of public and private company experience and public accounting are preferred. Experience managing Account Payable, Credit and Collections and other shared services areas is desired
- Book publishing, Education, Media and/or Retail, International experience a plus
- Strategic thinker who can identify, recommend, and implement practical, actionable ideas designed to improve the business year over year
- Strong knowledge of Generally Accepted Accounting Principles (GAAP); technically proficiency of current accounting principles and auditing standards
- Proven ability to quantify and present in an understandable manner the impact of decisions based on qualitative and quantitative financial analysis
- Experience leading and developing teams with diverse backgrounds and skills sets
- Must possess highest caliber of integrity and ethics
- Excellent decision quality; sound judgement and values consistent with Company mission, vision, and values