Highlights for Children, a family media brand that has been nurturing children with excellent, wholesome, and innovative products for more than 70 years, reaches over two million children every month throughout the world. Our wide variety of “Fun with a Purpose” magazines and books are dedicated to helping children become their best selves—creative, curious, caring, and confident.
The DTC Business Manager performs and supports the Company’s finance function with emphasis on Direct to Consumer businesses. Responsible for month and quarterly management reporting, analysis, forecasting, business case development, ad-hoc financial modeling and managing annual operating budget process. This position helps leaders establish short and long-term business goals create and monitor KPI’s, synthesize results, and measures and reports progress to business leaders to ensure attaining goals. This finance business partner position works as a liaison between finance, marketing, analytics, operations and editorial to provide insights and support to the business leaders and various functional teams for the these businesses. To be successful in this role, the person must have a detail and data-driven mindset, thrive in a fast-paced matrix-based work environment and have deep knowledge of direct to consumer businesses including but not limited to subscription and continuity business models, direct mail and e-commerce. The ability collaborate with cross-functional teams and work with all levels of management.
Financial Support and Insight
- Serve as a liaison between finance, marketing, analytics, operations and editorial for communicating and understanding financial results
- Maintain and evolve processes to provide ongoing and concise reporting
- Create KPIs reporting that monitors, anticipates and communicates potential implications to the businesses
- Work with Consumer Accounting Manager to understand accounting processes related to the businesses and detailed financial information.
- Communicate results through concise monthly commentary and meetings with key stakeholders
- Maintain and improve budget/forecast business models to improve the predictability of the businesses integrating data from a variety of areas (ops/production, analytics, marketing, and finance).
- Facilitate the forecast and budget process working with business partners to ensure appropriate assumptions, analysis and review.
- Provide pro-forma/financial feasibility analysis and support business case development related to new ventures/deals that leaders rely on to make thoughtful business decisions.
- Perform ad-hoc analysis and financial modeling to support business partners, management, and others as needed to enable fact-based decision making.
- Monitor, analyze, understand, and report financial health/results of the businesses
- Participate in various standing meetings with cross-functional support teams
- Assists with the identification and completion of annual goals and other projects to enhance operational efficiencies and complete assigned projects on a timely basis.
- Provide additional financial analyses, research, and support to management, corporate personnel, and others as needed. Maintains supporting documentation to back-up analyses and reports.
- Demonstrates sound judgement and values consistent with Company mission, vision, and values.
- Bachelors degree in Finance
- Minimum of six years of diverse and progressively responsible experience in financial and business analysis
- Direct to consumer subscription, continuity and direct marketing experience a plus.
- Strategic thinker that can identify and recommend practical, actionable ideas designed to improve the business year over year.
- Analytical skills necessary to understand the impact of business decisions and create and successfully manage budgets, with strong financial oversight and acumen, and a mastery of data assessment as it relates to the business.
- Collaborative; strong team player; ability to work cohesively and respectfully across different areas and manage the activities of cross-functional teams to meet or exceed departments and company goals.
- Strong driver and self-starter.
- Detail oriented, accurate and organized.
- Process-oriented with a focus on operational excellence and continuous improvement
- Proven ability to meet or exceed deadlines.
Highlights is a mission driven organization. We help children become their best selves by publishing content and creating experiences that engage, delight, and foster joyful learning. Through the work we do and as an inclusive corporate community, we are dedicated to cultivating our best selves in our workplace. We aim to hire talent that strives for excellence while doing the work they love, by enhancing the lives of kids and families. We come together with a common purpose because, we believe children are the world's most important people.