Highlights for Children, a family media brand that has been nurturing children with excellent, wholesome, and innovative products for more than 70 years, reaches over two million children every month throughout the world. Our wide variety of “Fun with a Purpose” magazines and books are dedicated to helping children become their best selves—creative, curious, caring, and confident.
HR Business Partner
Reporting into a Director of Human Resources, the HRBP collaborates with management and staff of the departments/business units to help them achieve their business and organization objectives. While strategic in nature, this HRBP will also need to handle all tactical tasks in support of these objectives. This position carries out responsibilities in the following functional areas: employee relations, training, performance management, onboarding, policy development and implementation, compensation, affirmative action and employment law compliance.
- Serve as the point of contact and resource to the assigned departments.
- In partnership with the Director of Human Resources, provide appropriate HR resources, organization development solutions, guidance, and support to further successful, productive performance within the departments.
- Coach and counsel management on employee relations issues, to ensure consistent, appropriate interpretation and application of company HR policies and procedures. Coordinate involvement with the HR team and Legal when appropriate.
- In partnership with management, proactively identify performance development, promotion and/or training needs and strategize on appropriate solutions.
- Facilitate HR procedures and programs, providing proactive guidance and training to managers and staff as needed to ensure appropriate compliance, reporting and/or follow through including: performance reviews, position changes, exit interviews, safety, workers’ compensation, and leaves of absence.
- Support change management related to the implementation of organizational effectiveness solutions.
- Responsible for certain aspects of internal employee communications, recognition programs and employee engagement.
- Manage and drive assigned projects as determined in the HR planning process and participate in functional and cross-functional initiatives.
- Collaborate with other colleagues and HR staff to foster a spirit of teamwork, sharing professional knowledge, expertise and best practices.
- In collaboration with the Director of Compensation and Benefits conducts compensation analysis company-wide and provide guidance based on compensation needs (e.g. job analysis, salary implementation, incentive programs).
- 7+ years of Human Resource generalist experience.
- Bachelor’s degree in Human Resources, Business or similar field.
- Master's Degree and HR certification a plus.
- Demonstrated use of change management tools.
- Ability to proactively identify and analyze organizational issues; and propose and facilitate solutions.
- Ability to work effectively independently or in teams
- Experience working for a complex organization.
- Internal Communications experience a plus.
- Exemplifies high standards of honesty, integrity and discretion.
- Strong written, verbal and interpersonal skills, versatile, adaptable, organized, team player.
- Ability to effectively consult with and coach management in application of HR practices and policies.
- Strong judgment, critical thinking and problem solving skills.
- Demonstrated knowledge of state and federal employment law.
- Ability to manage change, and multiple projects and priorities.
- Willingness/ability to collaborate effectively at all levels of organization.
- Strong computer skills including Microsoft Office Suite.
- Ability to travel up to 20%.