Highlights for Children, a family media brand that has been nurturing children with high-quality, innovative products for more than 70 years, reaches more than two million children every month throughout the world. Our wide variety of “Fun with a Purpose” magazines and books are dedicated to helping children become their best selves—creative, curious, caring, and confident.
We have an immediate opening for Managing Editor.
The Managing Editor is responsible for overseeing the quality assurance and workflows of a diverse, rapidly-growing portfolio of print and digital products. The position will focus on operational and brand excellence to deliver high quality, brand-aligned products in a timely manner.
As part of the Editorial Leadership Team, the Managing Editor will establish and manage priorities and best practices, while cultivating an environment that fosters innovation, creativity, collaboration, and efficiency. The ME works closely with Editorial, Design, and Production in the production development process, as well as with Marketing, Sales, Licensing, and other business stakeholders. The position oversees Associate/Assistant Managing Editors, Project Managers, as well as other freelance staff.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
- Manage workflows for all products in development.
- Deliver high quality across all product lines while ensuring that projects remain on schedule.
- Identify project management, copyediting, proofreading, cold-reading, vetting, and other related staffing needs for every project and assign freelance or in-house staff as appropriate.
- Serve as part of the Editorial Leadership Team (with the Editorial Director, Creative Director, and Director of Production) to establish best practices, manage priorities, and ensure a cohesive and coordinated approach to managing projects.
- Provide leadership in the areas of problem solving, collaboration and change management.
- Lead the appropriate Status Meetings for each program; create, maintain and update scheduling documents on an ongoing basis.
- Participate in appropriate launch, marketing, sales, and status meetings.
- Develop and mentor staff.
- Develop and maintain a list of external copyediting and proofreading resources.
- Ensure the editorial excellence and integrity of projects from a Highlights style point of view
- Ensure that all products are aligned with the Highlights brand sensibility and guidelines.
- Establish and maintain house style for copyediting
- Bachelors’ Degree
- 4 - 6 years of experience of managing editorial/ product management experience in the editorial/digital space
- Expert copy-editing and proofreading skills
- Excellent skills in the Microsoft Office Suite with ability to learn our existing Software
- Excellent organizational skills
- Leadership and Communication skills
Job requires relocation to northeastern Pennsylvania.
Occasional U.S. travel required (4-6 times / year)