Highlights is looking for a passionate, experienced, creative, and innovative Editor of children’s books to join the trade book team in Honesdale, PA. Acquiring both fiction and nonfiction for picture books age, middle grade, and young teen readers, this editor will have the opportunity to help shape the publishing program for Highlights and will be joining the company in an exciting time of growth. We are looking for someone with excellent taste, good contacts, a proven track record of acquisitions and successful book publishing, a creative approach to developing books, and a wide knowledge of the children’s publishing landscape. There is tremendous opportunity for growth in this position. And there’s the chance to work at a small, happy publishing company where authors and illustrators are treated with care and respect, where new talent is nurtured, and where innovative ideas are welcomed. We believe that children are the world’s most important people and through smart, strategic publishing we create books that inspire, delight, and inform.
- Acquiring and publishing 12-16 new books per year.
- Assuming sole responsibility for all editorial aspects of book development, including manuscript development and editing; identifying and acquiring illustrators when appropriate; copywriting including jacket, catalog, and other marketing copy as required.
- Maintaining schedules and collaborating with design, production, and marketing departments to meet scheduling requirements.
- Mentoring and supervising an Assistant Editor and an Editorial Assistant.
- Collaborating with Editorial Director on list building and ensuring future growth of Highlights trade books.
- Working with Editorial Director in developing a publishing strategy for Highlights trade books.
- Maintaining knowledge of current trends in children’s book publishing and what books other children’s book publishers are publishing.
- Establishing and nurturing relationships with key librarians and other industry experts.
- Collaborating with marketing staff and authors on helping promote published books.
- 7+ years in a related role
- Expert editing skills
- Excellent communication skills
- Knowledge of children’s book industry
- Successful track record in acquisition and publishing of trade children’s books
- Excellent skills in the Microsoft Office Suite with ability to learn our existing software
- Excellent organizational skills
- Supervisory skills in managing freelancers and in-house staff
- Self-motivated and able to manage a large workload in a fast-paced environment
Highlights is a dynamic organization focused on delivering excellence in all facets of our business. We offer a positive environment and competitive compensation and benefits. EOE
Position is located in Honesdale, PA.