The Manager, Billing and Renewals is responsible for managing the initiatives that improve Collections effort performance for all Direct to Consumer businesses -- magazines, clubs and DTC-Retail – across all sources and communication channels. The role is also responsible for the management of Magazine renewal efforts at the product and source levels. This role works closely with the Marketing, e-Commerce, Operations, Creative, and IT teams, as well as third party business partners, to accomplish these objectives. This Manager will help to develop, initiate and drive strategic efforts designed to improve retention globally, as well as provide support for specific campaign objectives driven by Marketing. These responsibilities include management of the method and number of contacts, messaging, and the total visual presentation, and ensuring an optimal experience for our customers.
The Manager, Billing and Renewals is responsible for providing solutions to accomplish Highlights’ strategic and financial goals at the business model, product and source levels. These solutions may be provided by multiple sources, including internal resources and a variety of third party business partners.
This Manager is responsible for managing the ongoing relationship with Highlights’ third party Collections service providers, including communication of Highlights’ strategic direction and business needs. This position manages a team responsible for all Payment Optimization and Renewal operations activities, at all locations, including but not limited to, campaign management, research, cost management, quality assurance, and compliance and conformance to legal regulations and provider service levels.
- Drive improved payment performance across all business models (magazine, continuity, one-shots and digital), products and market sources. Manage the collections related to approximately $42 million in accounts receivable for all markets annually. Develop the strategic direction and tactical execution plan for Payment Optimization initiatives.
- Support and guide the efforts of a cross-functional team in development of the strategy for Renewal initiatives for the Fall Gift and Year-round Renewal campaigns and the Auto-Renewal process. Provide creative direction for mail and email contacts and web pages. Develop the execution plan for these retention initiatives. Determine the optimal service providers and solution platforms to ensure success for approximately $28 million in gross sales.
- Manage the successful, ongoing relationship with all third party Collections providers in support of Highlights Consumer Businesses. Communicate the company’s strategic direction and business needs, set objectives, and monitor/maintain progress.
- Ensure continuous improvement of collections and renewal functions through variance analysis, accurate reporting, and adherence to standard operating procedures and industry best practices. Identify and implement cost-savings or efficiency improvement measures. Monitor the Payment Optimization and Renewal efforts to ensure they are meeting performance expectations for response and revenue metrics.
- Investigate new payment methods and requirements for implementing them. Research and develop new policies, procedures and/or functionality that will maximize business performance.
- Manage team members assigned to Billing functions and Renewal campaign optimization activities. Recruit and train employees for the team and create a positive and challenging work environment. Participate in goal setting, coaching and mentoring.
- Participate in cross-functional teams and task forces to accomplish corporate initiatives. Manage these projects and serve as lead, as appropriate.
- Align strategic Billing and Renewal goals with overall corporate goals. Participate in setting and accomplishing strategic and developmental Operations goals.
- Bachelor’s degree or equivalent combination of education and experience
- Four years’ experience in driving Collections performance and renewal or retention initiatives.
- Four years’ experience managing direct reports in a fast-paced, multi-focused environment
- Superior written and verbal communications
- Accurate and detail-oriented, with the ability to understand the high-level, global picture and the impact of changes
- Strong understanding of financial reporting, cost allocation processes and balancing to an established budget.
- Proficient in Microsoft Office Applications, with emphasis on Excel, Word and Access.
- Effective interpersonal skills and ability to build collaborative relationships
- Strong critical thinking skills (i.e. analytical problem solving, decision making, sound judgment)
- Ability to manage multiple projects simultaneously
- Understanding of digital opportunities and implications
- Up to 15% travel required