Stenhouse Marketing Manager
Stenhouse publishes professional development books and videos by teachers and for teachers. Its titles cover a range of content areas – from literacy and mathematics to science, social studies, the arts and environmental education – as well as a variety of topics, including classroom management, assessment, and differentiation. All of its work is grounded in sound theory and research and informed by our authors' years of experience in the classroom. The company’s goal is to provide educators with a set of proven strategies from which they can choose and adapt what will work best for their students and their own environment.
Visit www.stenhouse.com for more information.
As the combined SDE/Stenhouse Publishing group continues to grow its robust professional books, resources, and programs for the K-12 educators, the Stenhouse Marketing Manager will play a critical role in allowing Stenhouse to:
- foster strong and trusting relationships with new and existing authors;
- plan strategic marketing campaigns around new and priority backlist professional books;
- provide focused marketing attention on new areas of growth such as classroom resources and author-driven professional development;
- build a strong alignment between Sales and Marketing efforts;
- offer a marketing perspective and insight into every stage of product development (from initial proposal and development to marketing, sales training, and support)
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
The Stenhouse Marketing Manager will take the lead on developing strategic marketing campaigns to promote new Stenhouse professional books, classroom resources, and professional development and partnering with internal marketing, editorial, sales, and customer service teams. Core areas of responsibility include:
- 70% Develop and execute marketing strategy and tactical plans that meet business objectives: Create and lead the execution of multi-channel, full-year marketing plans (print, web, email, social media, conferences, events) for Stenhouse professional books within timeline and budget;. understand market trends and customer needs; partner with Marketing, Editorial, and Sales teams to develop compelling product positioning and messaging that distinguishes the program from the competition; maintain and enhance both the Stenhouse brand and individual author brands across all channels; identify market research needs and carry out research projects; determine performance objectives for campaigns, monitor progress, and analyze results; represent and convey Stenhouse marketing strengths to authors and other external partners.
- 20% Analysis and measurement. Partner with Marketing Systems and Operations Manager and team to analyze sales & customers; conceive and implement tests of marketing tactics and analyze response; develop and maintain robust lead generation programs for sales reps; provide an overall assessment of the effectiveness of Stenhouse marketing efforts to the management team.
- 10% Partnerships. Maintain existing external marketing partnerships and seek new ones, including advertising outlets, education marketing service providers, associations, and press contacts.
Supervisory Responsibilities: None
Education and Experience:
- Bachelors’ Degree, preferably in Marketing, Communications, or English.
- Position requires 7-10 years publishing or education experience, preferably in a marketing or product management role.
- Prior teaching experience a plus.
Beyond the education and experience above, the ideal candidate will be located full-time in the Portsmouth, NH office and have the following skills:
- manager level with 5 – 7 years of experience.
- strong writing and communication skills
- ability to work well across departments and with various levels of the organization
- strong planning and organizational skills
- ability to see the big picture as well as work through the details involved with executing plans at a high level
- the natural love of education and its power to impact the lives of students of all ages
- a natural curiosity and commitment to continuous improvement
- a team player who recognizes that Marketing is a team sport
- experience working with marketing automation, project management systems, and Excel.
Must be able to travel up to 10% to key conferences, events, and author meetings throughout.
Reports To: Vice President of Marketing
FLSA Status: Exempt
SDE and Stenhouse, part of the Highlights Company, are mission-driven organizations. We help children become their best selves by publishing content and creating experiences that engage, delight, and foster joyful learning. Through the work we do and as an inclusive corporate community, we are dedicated to cultivating our best selves in our workplace. We aim to hire talent that strives for excellence while doing the work they love, by enhancing the lives of kids and families. We come together for a common purpose because we believe children are the world's most important people.
The position is located in Portsmouth, NH.